Friday, October 30, 2009

PC Bullsit

Every night as I attempt to fall asleep, I think of these awesome blog topics. And then I sit here in the light of day and I can't remember a fucking one of them. How the fuck does that happen?

I'm going to sit here for a second and sip lukewarm coffee and try to remember.


Jeez, this is embarrassing.

Oh, here's one thing I have on my mind: political correctness. Has Valk already covered this? Probably, and definitely much more eloquently but I'll give her a stab. What the fuck is with all this PC bullshit. I seriously have to censor myself on an almost daily basis because I might offend someone. And not just some wad I don't care about, no it would be someone I love and truly value. So, I bite my tongue or keep my finger on the backspace. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't go around saying the "n" word or anything drastic like that. But I do say "gay" and an occasional "retard" slips out. I have gay friends, I believe in gay rights, truly. I understand why its hurtful and mean and derogatory, but I am a little stubborn so I want the right to call an adult female dressed in Winnie the Pooh clothes, gay.

Anyway, that wasn't the path of my original rant. I was talking to one of my friends the other day about Halloween. It NEVER even occurred to me that Halloween wasn't PC. OK, that's a lie. I know from my time in the public schools that they are shifting from Halloween parties to "harvest" parties. Fucking puke. So, this dear friend is a christian and she was saying that it irked her that they still celebrate Halloween at her kid's school and they totally downplay Christmas (it becomes "Winter Solstice" *insert eye roll*) and Easter has become "Spring Break". So fucking what? She was bothered that kids weren't allowed to pray in schools but they could still celebrate the devil holiday. Actually, I don't think she thinks of Halloween as a Devil holiday but there are definitely those who do.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't there christian religions that actually believe in Halloween? Wait....Aren't there? Shit, now that I typed that out, I am not so sure. Huh...This post just keeps getting more and more irritating and embarrassing.

Whatever. My point (I swear I had one) is that why the hell can't kids be kids anymore? Now, they can't dress up and go door to door and ask for stupid candy. Instead, they have parties where the candy is just everywhere and they play stupid games. I remember trick or treating and the little tidge of fear and excitement. And I am freaking scaredy-cat, so if that didn't scare me then who's going to be scared?

crap, baby crying, to be continued....

5 comments:

Ashley Senior said...

Chode,
I was one of those kids who's parents believed that Halloween was the devil's holiday. I was pulled out of school on the day of the Halloween party. It was sad and embarrassing, and i never fully understood it. When i became an adult, i looked into WHY my parents didnt want to celebrate, and i felt it all didnt add up. I think they were fed some cock and bull from their over-zealous church. If their reasoning was because it was originally a pagan holiday, then Christmas trees should be abolished by all Christians, because i believe those were started by the pagans with Winter Soltice. (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

But then again to each his own, right?
I'm having a BLAST celebrating Halloween with Luke....and worshiping the devil and all that. you know.

kiki said...

I'm one of those people who cleches her butt cheeks a little when people say "'tard" or "gay" - but I would never want yours, or anyone else's right to say those things taken away. It is your right to say whatever the hell you want. We can't go through life being offensive-free. I'm sure I offend people all the time.

As for changing the names and celebration of holidays in school - good god that drives me insane. I'd rather they just chose not to acknowledge any holidays than try to acknowledge them while making them neutral - that irritates the crap out of me.

When I was a kid we went trick-or-treating in large hords with no adult supervision - I miss that! I want a realy old-fashioned halloween Meet Me in St. Louis style!!! Burn shit up and throw flower at people!!!!!

Henry is definitely going trick-or-treating this year. No malls or house parties for this mountain boy!

Valkyrie said...

Well, you know how I feel about all the PC bullshit. It really makes me angry when people tell me what words i am allowed to use. Fuck that. I can use any word I want. I don't think anyone has the right to go through life never feeling offended or getting their widdle feewings hurt. Oh man, I can rant on all fuckin' day about it! It drives me NUTS. If we are going to be babying everyone and trying to act like people have a right to NOT be offended, then they really ought to outlaw all the retarded lefty bumper stickers I see around here. Totally offensive! I'm not even kidding. But I believe in the freedom of speech, it is sacred to me. I believe in that way more than I believe I ought to have my sensibilities coddled.

AmyBean said...

Halloween ("hallowed e'en") is the eve of All Saints' Day, and it did used to be a religious holiday. It was a day to remember that we're all one community, the dead AND the living. In some cultures, it's still very much a holy day.

I'm with you. PC-ness is dumb. I'm all about not deliberatly trying to be offensive, but some people go *looking* to be offended. Blah.

Jodi said...

Exactly! Some people are just looking to be offended. So dumb.