Friday, October 23, 2009

My Grandma

This is my Grandma reading us the "Polar Express",
a Christmas tradition
.


I don't have a lot to blog about but I'm holding a sleeping baby so......

My grandma is coming to visit us today. Man, I adore her. She is not like a traditional grandma. She has a radar detector and wears $300 shoes, carries Kate Spade bags. (You know its badass when its a "bag" and not just a "purse"). Grandma still works and takes long car trips, she can shop all day or make a meal for 30 people.

She danced at my wedding to AC/DC and drank with the best of us. She did my make-up for my wedding, too. And if you know me, I am waaaaaaay particular about my make-up, but she is just that good. She can shop all day or stay in her jammies and watch Lifetime movies all morning. It takes her weeks to open all her Christmas cards (I don't know why and it kills me, I always want to do it.)

My grandma is so cool, but not in a non-grandma type of way. She's still my Gram. If we are out together, people constantly mistake her for my mom or my aunt, which she freaking LOVES. Recently, we had a family member in the hospital and a group of nurses pulled me aside to ask her age. When I proudly told them, they were all astounded, like open-mouthed, jaws dropped.

Blue is her favorite color and she wears it fabulously. She has beautiful green eyes that truly dance. People always describe eyes as "dancing" but seriously her eyes really do. Her eyes have seen her fair share of heartache, too. When she was pregnant with my mom, she lost her father-in-law. She's buried her own Daddy, a brother, a beloved aunt and a few close friends. In more recent years, she's buried her own daughter and just last year her husband, my grandpa. I don't know if she'll ever fully recover from losing my aunt, her daughter. How could you really? She told me that no matter how old she is, she was still her baby. That makes total sense to me. And when I heard her tell my grandpa goodbye after more that 50 years of marriage, I thought my heart would shatter, puncture a lung, and I would die right there. What she told him was so sweet and loving, that I won't muck it up by posting it on the internet.

She's so rad and so classy and so...AWESOME. She just really, really is. I could go on for days. And now, she is the light of my girl's eyes too. Josie adores her, follows her around and just LOVES her. The most hilarious and sweet thing is to see Josie's little brown hand in my grandma's manicured hand walking through Nordstom's looking at shoes. My heart does a dance and so very, very full.

Just the other day, I was thinking that at some point I will lose her. It was one of those thoughts that you just shove aside and remind yourself not to future-trip (right Keeks?). But there's that nagging voice that reminds me that grandparents don't live forever. Mark my words, that my world will not be the same without her in it. I've said good-bye to some pretty important people, but I do not want to think about losing her. Oh, no, no, no. My heart will splinter, for sure. And it will not be repairable.

So, Gram, be sure to grab a bottle of vino on your way over here. Let's drink it up, put or feet up and relax. I love you, love you, love you.



















My Grandma and Grandpa.

3 comments:

Valkyrie said...

This made me really miss my grandma. She died last year, and she was this kind of grandma. She was always all dolled up--so stylish. And she was so much fun. So much about the world changed during her lifetime, and she just went with the flow. She was awesome. Grandmas are the best. Don't think about the day you'll have to say goodbye. Just enjoy every minute you have with her.

kiki said...

She looks awesome Jode!

How was the visit?

Now I know why I love you and Valk so much - you both have awesome grandmas!

My grandma is easily the most influential person in my life. I could never find the words to describe what a force she was. And she was cool too - I bet your grandmas would have liked her.

Jodi said...

The visit was really, really good. She took us to dinner and we hung out. Normally, I have to share her with the rest of my family. It was so nice to have her to myself.

She told us some really cools stories about her life on the ranch. Its hard to put into words just how special she is. But I'm so glad you guys get it. <3<3<3