Saturday, October 17, 2009

Back in the day...

My sister, Jenny, and I would play the dumbest games as we fell asleep at night. We were a family of six in a three bedroom house, practically unheard of these days. (*groan* Did I really just say "these days? Holy fuck, old age is creeeeeeeeeeepy in.) At any rate, our house was modest but it was a super huge lot that had some rad wooded areas for us to explore.

Shit, I got off track. I do that a lot, but you girls already know that. ;)

Jenny and I shared a room, actually we shared a queen sized bed. I often tell people that we loved it but really, I just think we didn't know any different. I do think that sharing a bed with her for so long helped me be such a good co-sleeper. When people day they "couldn't" co-sleep, it perplexes me. Whatevs. I guess I grew up co-sleeping with my sister, so it was second nature.

The games. *sigh* It's nearly impossible for me to stay focused.

As we fell asleep, we played games. We talked a lot. We laughed our little asses off and when we got too loud and heard my mom or dad coming down the hall, our laughter was 100% uncontainable. We got this threat almost nightly, "If you two don't settle down and go to sleep, I'm gonna separate you!" Ah hell. That was the worst punishment for us. The worst. That meant one of us had to sleep in......mom and dad's bed. *gulp* Mom and Dad's bed was FREEZING and lonely. And dark. Oh and there was this weird branch on the tree outside their window that made a super scary shadow on the wall. Plus, the whole being separated thing. That was pure torture.

We had this wallpaper. Dudes, remember when wallpaper was the shit? Or was that just my house? Huh....I think I can remember it being in other people's houses.....Oh well. Our wall paper had these little, sweet flowers and a ribbon-like stripes. The ribbons looked like they were threaded through lace, so if you looked close enough they were individual squares. We would pretend that the little squares were actually a huge switchboard-type, console thingy like on Star Trek. (The original Star Trek, with William Shatner not that new crap.) The button pushing was an important part and the only thing I really remember was when we got tired enough, one of us would push the "sleep button".

I think my original point (let's pretend for a minute that I really had a point, mmmmkay?) was that I hate how times have changed. I hear some of my friends insisting that they have a 4 bedroom house. I'm like, "What the fuck for? You have two kids?" They look at me like I'm a fucking dildo and say, "Welllllllllll, we need a room for Bailey and a room for Skylar and we need a guest room/craft room/office." Uh no you don't. I mean its cool to want that crap but you don't really need it.

I want my girls to share a room and they will. Maybe they won't be as close as Jenny and I, but I'm going to do my damnedest to at least give them the opportunity. Another thing that way cool about us sharing a bed: we had a queen sized bed to use a guest bed when we had company. I think it gave us such a good foundation for how to compromise and work some shit out. You are not going to live in discord for long when you have to share a bed with someone. No sirree. That isn't fun for a millisecond. I think it helped to learn to let shit go, talk about what needed to be talked about and shut the fuck up about the shit that didn't need discussing.

Plus, you never got cold. Or scared.

7 comments:

Valkyrie said...

Dude, wallpaper was super hot back in the day. *Everyone* had wallpaper! So tacky. lol Sharing a room with my sister was like torture. I hated her guts and she tormented and bullied me all the time. I hated, hated, hated her. And I still pretty much do. One of the best days of my life was the day I got my own room. So sharing a room with her definitely didn't teach me to work shit out, it just taught me that I prefer to have my own space.

I don't like co-sleeping. I mean, now I co-sleep with Daniel and I am used to it. He likes to cuddle and at first it was like, OMG, I am *never* going to sleep again! But now I am to the point where I really can't sleep without him. But I think it's just because it's *him*. I co-slept with my newborns, but once those babies didn't need to nurse all night long, I kicked their butts into the crib next to the bed. They stayed in my room until they were three, and they crawled in bed with me early in the morning. I'm one of those people who can't co-sleep. My kids couldn't either. As soon as they went to their own bed, they slept all night (which in infant terms is six hours straight), then when they woke up they'd come back to bed with me. I do love snuggling babies. Danny still gets in bed with us in the morning, and I love it. *sigh*

Valkyrie said...

Awesome! I blogged on your blog! :-P

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Valk.

My boys share a queen sized bed. In a room they share. Neither one ever comes to climb into bed with us anymore...well unless one feel asleep with us and the other wakes up lonely, lol.

I think they will always share a room. Maybe one day they will have two rooms to use, but we will always have them sleep in the same room.

Jodi said...

Yeah, Valk, I think the sibling co-sleeping (is that a real term?) only works *some* of the time. James has two sisters, both middle children like Jenny and I. They shared a room growing up and did not speak for three years. WHILE THEY SHARED A ROOM. That's insane to me. But that's the dynamic between the those two, they are still not close. They tolerate each other at best. And bitch please, blog on my blog all you want. What's mine is yours, you know that! *cough*cough*cough *husbands*cough*cough*cough ;)

If I would have had to share a room with my older brother, we would have literally killed each other. :) *says a prayer that my girls get along*

Mags, I never knew that your boys shared a bed. I love it! I really think its convenient when you have guests, KWIM? Plus, it makes for some freaking adorable pics.

Ashley Senior said...

Chode, i'm totally one of those people with 4 bedrooms. *blush*.

One for Luke, one for Eve, and one for the guests....and the cats. LOL

anyway, i LOVE the William Shatner Star Trek reference! My brother and i would play star trek all the time, and we would make imperfections in his wood bunk bed the dashboard full of buttons. And we'd shoot each other with phasers made from fingers :)

Jodi said...

Yeah, Tash I totally thought O-Hura (sp?) was so exotic. I'm pretty sure Jenny and I fought over who got to "be" her. And we have 4 bedrooms, too. :) But not because we really need them, it was just a steal on the house, ya know? And if we had a boy and a girl, I don't know that I'd be so forceful with the shared room. But if I had a boy and girl and they wanted to, I wouldn't care.

Kari said...

Abby and Shayla share a room but I would give them their own if we had another bedroom to spare. They each have their own bed but, lately, I find them crawling into each other's beds for the night. The funniest thing is when they both end up in Shayla's little toddler bed.

I can't co-sleep past 3 years old. Actually, it starts getting old for me when they are around 1 1/2-2 yrs. But I do like it when they are babes and for part of the night when they aren't...just not the whole night.

We still have wallpaper in 1 room of our house...well and 1 bathroom. The wallpaper in the family room is fairly hideous. :)